The Because of Joy scholarship is a continued education scholarship for those affected by Spina Bifida. Wanting to make certain all children realize their academic dreams, Because of Joy has dedicated its resources to ensure finances are not an obstacle in realizing higher education. We award 2 scholarships each spring. One to a student diagnosed with Spina Bifida and a second to a student with a sibling diagnosed with Spina Bifida.
Help us reach our
goal of 100 golfers
What is Spina Bifida ?
- Spina Bifida occurs when the spine of the baby fails to close during the first month of pregnancy, leaving a permanent opening in the spinal column.
- Those who are born with Spina Bifida must learn to live with conditions such as hydrocephalus (fluid on the brain), full or partial paralysis, bladder and bowel complications, learning disabilities, depression, and deadly latex allergy as well as social issues.
- There is no known cause of Spina Bifida and each of the 65 million women of childbearing age in this country are at risk for an affected pregnancy.
- It is estimated that up to 70 percent of birth defects like Spina Bifida can be prevented with a daily dose of 400 micrograms of folic acid every day prior to pregnancy.
- The average total lifetime cost to society for infants born with Spina Bifida may well exceed $1,000,000.
- Children who have Spina Bifida have medical expenditures 13 times greater than healthy children.
- Adults who have Spina Bifida had medical expenditures 3 to 6 times greater than healthy adults.