Why we do what we do?
Born on September 18, 1997, Joy Lynn Michelle Carter had a birth defect called Spina Bifida (a neural tube defect that causes the spine to not close properly during development). The doctors did not expect Joy to live through the pregnancy, delivery, or the many surgeries. Joy lived much to their amazement for 4 months. She had many struggles but just as many triumphs. Her life was a testament of God’s love and healing power. Her name is what she brought to this world and it is the legacy she left behind January 15, 1998. That legacy is our Non-Profit organization – Because of Joy. Because of Joy reaches out to support Summer Camp, Family Camp, Community Involvement Programs, Awareness programs, Continued Education Scholarships and programs ran through our partnering organizations. We truly believe that Spina Bifida is something to live with not die from… and we are dedicated to giving moments of Life to those with Spina Bifida.
Our knowledge of Spina Bifida and Education motivates us to increase our Scholarship Fund:
- Spina Bifida is the #2 birth defect in America following Heart Defects.
- Every day, 8 babies are born in the United States with Spina Bifida or a similar birth defect of the brain & spine.
- The Average Monthly cost for a child with Spina Bifida is $1500 more than a child without special needs.
- The medical community has made strides in giving every individual with spina bifida the gift of a full life and we celebrate that with offering opportunities to live it to the fullest. Because of today’s medicine, about 90% of babies born with Spina Bifida now live to be adults, about 80% have normal intelligence & about 75% play sports.
- The AVERAGE cost of Tuition & Fees NOT including Living expenses for a 4 year undergraduate education at a public university is over $75,000.00
Take a look at some of our Partnering Organizations: